My Guide Website?
Christchurch: Godley Head & Lyttelton Guided Walking Tour3 Reviews
Discover the remnants of New Zealand’s WW2 defenses on this guided walking tour through Lyttelton and Godley Head. Visit Taylors Mistake Beach, Timeball Station, Evens Pass, and more as you walk along the coastal path and learn about the area’s history.
- Capture stunning photos from Godley Head's WW2 gun embattlements
- Observe the White Flippered Penguin colony and other wildlife along the costal track
- Enjoy a picnic lunch and refreshing morning tea with your local guide.
- Visit Taylors Mistake Beach, Sumner Beach, Evens Pass, Boulder Bay, and more
DescriptionThe day begins with departure from Christchurch, heading through New Zealand's second-longest road tunnel until you arrive in Lyttelton. Enjoy some free time here to explore the historic port town, which is steeped in Antarctic exploration history. Leave Lyttelton via the exceedingly steep and narrow side streets, stopping briefly at the historic Timeball Station and the lookout on Evens Pass. Follow Evens Pass over the Port Hills and down onto Sumner Beach, where your guide lays out a refreshing morning tea. A short drive from Sumner Village brings you to Taylors Mistake Beach. From here, set out on the walking tour of Godley Head, which follows a well-formed loop track of approximately 8 km (3-hours). From Taylors Mistake Beach, the coastal track climbs a small hill before traversing above scenic cliffs. Descend onto a small rocky section of the coast, home to the rare White Flippered Penguin (only found in 2 places New Zealand). The visit to the penguin colony is optional. Once you’ve worked up a bit of an appetite, lunch is provided at Boulder Bay or at Godley Head. After lunch, spend some more free time discovering the remnants of the WW2 defenses. The location offers excellent photographic opportunities with uninterrupted views of Lyttelton Harbor, Banks Peninsula, and Christchurch City. On the return journey back to Taylors Mistake Beach, your guide explains the use of the military outpost at Godley Head and New Zealand's involvement in WW2. Finally, the drive back from Taylors Mistake to Christchurch passes through Sumner Village and along the estuary before reaching the inner city block where you will be dropped back at your hotel or the city center.
IncludesHotel pickup Local guide Food Drinks Transport
- This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
- This tour is weather dependent. If the tour is unable to run on the scheduled day you will be offered 3 options; a full refund, a tour on another day, or the option to swap the tour for another tour that runs from Christchurch