Pohatu Package - Christchurch
The 2-day package gives you much more time to explore the tracks and woodland of Pohatu Marine Reserve.
Pohatu Package is Best For
Directions to Pohatu Package
Eye-opening expeditions to the NZ's largest mainland colony of Little Penguins. Go kayaking or take a 4WD tour around Pohatu Marine Reserve. 1-2 day overnight trips, with penguins as your bunk mates.
Pohatu Penguins is based in Akaroa, 80km south of Christchurch. With 25 years experience in penguin preservation and marine conservation, your guides will ensure you get a personal tour of this incredible marine reserve, with their bespoke, tailored Pohatu Package. All you need to bring is your camera and a sense of adventure.
* Depart at 12.00pm from our office in Akaroa (8 Rue Balguerie).
* Take a scintillating 4WD through a volcanic landscape, experiencing all the beauty of the dramatic cliffs, crater rims and high passes of Banks Peninsula.
* Drop by the Akaroa Lighthouse Scenic Reserve and drink in the isolation and freedom of this beautiful spot.
* Stop to take photographs of exquisite rock formations and incredible scenery, flora and fauna.
* Lose yourself in a spectacular two and a half hour self-guided walk through the bushland and beech forests of Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve. Maybe you can cool off under one of the many waterfalls along the way.
* See actual conservation programmes in action, and do your bit to help preserve the indigenous animals and plants of Pohatu.
* Stay overnight on a genuine working sheep station. Make the most of the very comfortable self-catering accommodation, which sits right in the heart of the penguin colony, and close to a safe and relaxing swimming beach.
* Optional sea kayaking is available ($25 extra pp) letting you get into the heart of Pohatu Marine Reserve by gliding past dramatic cliffs. Keep an eye out for the many marine companions who might want to join you (seals, dolphins...).
* Let your hosts treat you to a magical evening penguin tour, when your white-flippered friends are likely to be more sociable.
* Extend your adventure by a further 24 hours by opting for the 2-day package. This gives you much more time to explore the tracks and woodland of Pohatu Marine Reserve, with your own wooden chalet to return to at the end of the day.
24 hour package: $135 per adult, $80 per child / Group or family 4 or more $105 per person.
48 hour package: An extra $90 per accommodation.
Kayaking: $25 pp extra
*NOTE: Food and drink is not included in the packages.
Please click here to make a booking.