My Guide Website?
The 48 Hour package gives you much more time to explore the tracks and woodland of Pohatu Marine Reserve.
Pohatu Penguins is based in Akaroa, 80km south of Christchurch. With extensive experience in penguin preservation and marine conservation, your guides will ensure you get a personal tour of this incredible marine reserve, with their bespoke, tailored Pohatu Package.
The Pohatu Package features an overnight stay in historic and cosy private units in the middle of the penguin colony and working sheep farm with rare breeds sheep. Enjoy the safe swimming beach just outside your door or explore the surrounding and secluded landscape.
The Package Includes:
- A stunning scenic drive up 700 meters to the edge of Akaroa extinct volcano crater rim with photo stops along the way.
- Visit to the spectacular cliff-tops of the Akaroa Heads Lighthouse Reserve.
- Opportunity to walk along the river and waterfalls of the Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve. Fully forested and downhill walk part of the well-known Banks Track. 3-hour & 1.5-hour options available.
- FREE Evening Penguin Tour (if in season).
- Highly discounted sea-kayaking. You pay $40/55 vs. $110.
- Gaze up at the night sky to see the brilliant Milkyway.
- Accommodation that is meters way from a safe swimming beach.
- Access to fully equipped facilities including communal kitchen and shower.
What To Bring:
- Food for 24 to 48 hours depending on package selection.
- Warm clothing for the evening.
- If kayaking, clothes you don’t mind getting wet.
- Hiking boots/shoes or athletic shoes for the bush walk.
Departures at 12.00pm from Akaroa.
Extend your adventure by a further 24 hours by opting for the 48 Hours Package.
24 hour package: $175 per adult, $80 per child
48 hour package: An extra $130 per accommodation.
Kayaking: $40 - $55 pp extra
*NOTE: Food and drink is not included in the packages.
- Moderately Priced
Best For Whom
- Families With Children
Best For What
- A View To Die For