My Guide Website?
Evening Penguin Tours
Join a tour to discover the world of Little penguins and support 30+ years of conservation effort
Pohatu is the largest Australasian Little Penguin colony on mainland New Zealand and the family has worked over the last three decades protecting White-flippered Penguins, Canterbury's own variant of Australasian Little Penguin, from introduced predators.
The tour gives you a fascinating insight into the life of a penguin with the chance to see the birds up-close and a unique opportunity to watch them socialising on the water.
After a breathtaking scenic drive over Akaroa extinct volcano with photo opportunities, discover the tranquil Pohatu bay where you will set off for a walk around the colony to monitor nesting sites and make sure that the Little Penguins are doing well.
Then, enjoy the unique opportunity to spot some undisturbed penguins, socializing on the water with provided binoculars and telescope. With night falling, there is a high probability to observe penguins returning to shore and relaxing on the rocks before heading to their nests.
The Tour Includes:
- 4WD Minibus Transportation from Akaroa to and from Pohatu bay on some of Banks Peninsula back country roads
- Rare sheep breeds that can be hand fed
- A conservation walk and talk within the penguin habitat
- Monitoring of penguin nesting homes to check on the colony
- With camouflage gear and binoculars, watch penguins in the middle of the bay, preening, resting and socialising
- A probability of some birds coming ashore just under the hides as it get darker
What To Bring:
- Good walking shoes or boots with good grip soles that can cope with a bit of mud in wet conditions.
- Warm clothing (some additional camouflage clothing will be provided).
- Binoculars - although provided, there may not be enough for one per person.
Infant (2 - 4 years): $35
Family (2 Adults, 2/3 children): $250
- Moderately Priced
Best For Whom
- Families With Teenagers
- Families With Children
Best For What
- Off The Beaten Path